July 27, 2012

In the life of DancerGal: Fasting for the very first time!

For the first time in my entire life, I am trying to fast during the Ramadan period. Well, many people think that it's because of SammoBammo. SB may be a very small part of it, but I also wanted to find out what my other Muslim friends go through on a yearly basis. Some of you may not know this, but aside from SammoBammo, I do have other Muslim friends, YOU KNOW? *sarcasm*

So anyway, I've asked around, proudly announcing that I'll be fasting, cos honestly, I thought it was quite cool! Little did I realize, the condemnation that was going to happen to me.

As most of you may know, I am a Christian. I come from an Anglican church. Notice how I didn't use past tense? This is because I still consider myself a Christian, regardless of what people say. Well, people tried to discourage me and blame SammoBammo for "trying" to convert me. This is complete and total nonsense! Anyway, I just basically had to buckle down and just do it, while ignoring all the negativity that's happening around me. Something I could do fairly well, with all my friends (Muslim, of course!) encouraging and motivating me :)

It's been 3 days of fasting. Day 1 was REALLY tough. I took my first meal at around 7am. Yes, I know it's not the proper sahur, but then again, I wanted to take it slow. So I told myself that I wouldn't eat for the rest of the day. By 4pm, I was thirsty and hungry!!! I honestly couldn't tahan, so I took a cup of Iced Chinese Tea. It was upon my first gulp, that I felt like such a useless person. And please bear in mind, I'm not doing this out of any religious beliefs whatsoever. Yet, I felt so.... incompetent?

It was at this point, that I truly admired all my Muslim friends. If you don't believe me, I even asked some of them, "How did you do this?". I got many answers. It was quite amazing. So on the third day of fasting, I told myself that I would try and do the full day, as in wake up for sahur and all that. So I did. Woke up at 5am, prepared myself some oats, and had that for "sahur". Went off to work, and I was due for dinner with SammoBammo and his family. It was a very simple home-cooked meal. But you know what? It had to be the BEST dinner I've ever had. Why? Because I had lasted the FULL DAY! I was so damn proud of myself. :) It meant that it was possible. The feeling you get when you buka with your friends/loved ones, after fasting with them a whole day long, is just amazing!!! :)

Since then, and even right now as I'm typing this, I am fasting. I encourage each and every Malaysian at heart to try it. Even if not the whole month, do it once and arrange for a nice buka meal with your friends <3 It truly is an amazing experience. :)

Love always,
DancerGal Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment